Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Another monster month

I remember reading an article in Runner's World last year that talked about the "Monster Month," the month before the marathon. As of two days ago, I've officially entered my monster month. I called my mother today to whine.

"I don't want to run this race anymore. I'm tired all the time. I have no life. I fell asleep driving." Okay, I didn't tell her about the falling asleep driving part. There are somethings that mothers, and the rest of the world except out there in internet-land, don't really need to know.

"You don't have to run it."

"But I do. I told everyone that I know that I was running it. I can't back out now. I've already run 20 miles. I'm like a week away from tapering. I can't stop now. I will never forgive myself."

My mom doesn't want me to run this thing. She has mentioned several times that she thinks that I need to see a nutritionist. I keep asking her why. What I'm afraid she's getting at is that I've gained weight. It's sort of dumb that I'm worrying about that because I haven't even seen my mother in two months. She has no idea if I've gained weight or not. I have no idea if I've gained weight or not. Somehow the scale went from something I'd step on multiple times a day to something that I'm petrified of. I don't know which is worse. Anyway, I digress.

Runner's World has a bunch of suggestions on how to get through this month including:

1. Live in the present.
2. Don't skip scheduled runs (Umm, oops)
3. Go to bed earlier

I thought February was a hard month. I felt like all I was doing was running. Coupled with my new job, it was a very hard month. But February is over. Tomorrow is a new month. It might still be part of the monster month, but at least I'm getting more and more acclimated to my job. I have somewhat of a grasp on what it is that I actually do. I put up some pictures in my office. I know everyone's name. I've had lunch with a few folks.

I'm still tired and I'm still overwhelmed. But once this monster month is over, I'll be even more comfortable in my job and I'll have run a marathon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Peaches said...

You can and will kick ass and finish the marathon. And if you back out for any other reason than deathly illness or injury, I will kick your ass. Remember, I'm not just in internet land.

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home