Monday, March 05, 2007

And I miss you

I met J at my first "real" job in Atlanta. We were inseparable from the start. We quickly became roommates and did everything together. It was a rather tumultuous friendship at times. He knows me better than anyone else has ever known me in my life. We can read each others minds. We can finish each others sentences. But at the same time, we fought. We were together too much. There were period where we worked together and lived together and were basically each other's only friend. It took a toll on our friendship. Things started getting really bad last year. Specifically, in my mind though he might think otherwise, when I started dating E. We really started fighting. We both thought that our friendship wasn't going to last. But it did. We moved into our own apartments and eventually began to have our own lives. We made new friends, we had different jobs. I thought things were going to be okay. But now when I call, he doesn't answer. When I invite him out, he doesn't want to go.

I guess we're in different phases in our lives. He's almost seven years older than I am. I still want to go out until the wee hours of the morn, while he wants to drink wine and try fancy restaurants with his boyfriend. I miss him. I miss having someone around who gets me. Someone who laughs at the same things that I laugh at. Someone who I can ask, "Will I like that restaurant?" and he'll know for sure yes or no. It's not because he has a boyfriend now that I don't see him. Or maybe it is. Eventually I'm going to stop trying. But I'll still miss him.

4 Comments:

Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

I know the exact sentiment you just described.

I've got friends that I drift apart from...but somehow, when I need them the most...they can sense it and mysteriously creep back into my life.

Maybe the same is for J? Give it time. But do let him know you miss him. I always have that "what if something happens tomorrow" bug in the back of my mind...

1:50 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

Anyone at ur place would have felt the similar thing as u r feeling now...I dnt understand why cant two human beings be normal to each other rather than taking out grudges and I still didnt understand why he suddenly stopped talking to u..anythhing happened?? or is it that he started feeling insecured as soon as u got into dating E...I mean...he might have felt that ur love and attention has been divided...some human does bear this psychology...hope everything gets fine with u soon...best wishes :)

5:23 AM  
Blogger Peaches said...

As sad as it is, I think that happens with a lot of people in life. I have a ton of friends who have gotten married and/or had kids in the last few years and we don't talk or see each other as often. I think as people's lives change, they can grow apart and it's often harder for the person who is the one in the position that doesn't come across growth or change. That doesn't make any sense, but I guess what I'm saying is...If your friend is growing up faster than you are (especially if they're older) it often feels like they're growing away from you even if you're both growing away from each other. I'm sure J misses you too and you guys always end up seeing each other at some point. Are you sure he's not just wrapped up in the boyfriend?

7:57 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

running jayhawk - you are right. last weekend i was feeling particularly upset about it and he called and we went to dinner. he's very busy with work right now. i think that (and his newish boyfriend) are contributing to our lack of face time.

i have a lot of friends that i've drifted apart from and i know that it happens but in this case, it still makes me sad.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home