Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Southern Belle?

This happens to me almost every night. Around 7:15, I get extremely tired. I inevitably lie down for a nap and when my alarm goes off telling me that it's gym time, I try to bargain with myself. "I'll just go to sleep now and get up tomorrow." Usually I make myself get up and once I get to the gym, I feel fine. Such was the case tonight. 4 miles AND weight training for my legs. I'm really going to try to weight train at least twice a week.

My friend Margaret just moved from Northern California to North Carolina. Needless to say, she's a little apprehensive about living in the south. Granted, semi-rural North Carolina is quite different from metro Atlanta but I've got to say, the South really has started to grow on me. So, for Maragaret's benefit, a list of good things about living in the South:

1. It's warmer.
2. People are generally friendly.
3. You can buy alcohol in the grocery stores (Not that Margaret would care because she doesn't drink, but it's something you can't do in Maryland.)
4. Boiled peanuts.
5. Diet coke. I never realized how many restaurants in the DC metro area serve Pepsi. The only one that does that I can even think of here is Nuevo Laredo and if you go there you should be drinking a Margarita anyway.

Okay, so that last one doesn't apply to the south in general, but I'm grasping for straws.

I'll end my ode to the South now. Going back to resolutions, I have a few others that I didn't write about. Namely, and this sounds stupid but it's really hard for me, putting my shoes away when I take them off. I have a nice shoe rack on the back of my door that I put there for this purpose, but I cannot seem to use it. I don't know why I think it's just so hard to put the shoes on the rack. That goes along with the general resolution of being somewhat cleaner. Not necessarily cleaner, but I guess tidier. Because it's really not that fun to have people over and have to warn them several times, "My apartment is messy. No, you don't understand, it's really messy. Like, you might fall and hurt yourself, probably from tripping over some shoes on the way to the bathroom." My other resolution is to do more art. I was a freaking art major for God sakes and I do nothing right now. I mean, not counting my job which is maybe part of the reason that I don't do outside artwork. But I miss photography and drawing and I want to start doing more.

4 Comments:

Blogger Peaches said...

I've come to love the south oddly enough. I'm not sure I want to live anywhere else anymore...

12:15 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

how sad is it that I read your entire post and all I can think about is Nuevo Laredo. I live about a mile from there and I keep trying to forget that fact.

Cheers on living well! And I had a mild mishap with several things today, so on to a new day!

9:21 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Hi Sarah! For some reason, I don't like Nuevo Laredo. It's not just the diet Pepsi thing. I think I'm the only person in Atlanta that doesn't like it though.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Lauren Starks said...

Benihana's only serves Pepsico.

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home