Friday, January 05, 2007

Losing your job will make you do silly things

Like going for a 4 mile run in the pouring rain. I spent the previous hour crying so I decided that if my face was going to be wet, I'd might as well be from the rain and not from tears. Strangely enough, it felt refreshing even though I was drenched by the end. I guess that means I'm kind of a real runner. I get upset and want to go for a run.

Wendy cried. (Wendy was my boss.) I guess they told her like ten minutes before they told me and she ran to Publix to buy me Jelly Belly's which she knows I love. I appreciate the gesture, I really do. I don't really want two big bags of jelly beans but whatever. She cried and she hugged me. I kind of felt bad for her. I'm stronger than this though. I can get a new job. I didn't even like this job. It was just a shock. I really didn't see it coming. I came in from lunch and Will, the security guard, was like, "Marc wants to see you." So of course, I thought I was in trouble. Marc's the COO. He never wants to see me. So I went into his office and he started acting weird, asking me about my holiday and he said, "I'll be right back." and my heart started beating faster. Honestly, I didn't think I was about to get fired. I thought I was going to get in trouble. Perhaps for spending too much time online or on instant messanger. But then Sarah from HR walked in and they said something about hiring a new Marketing Director and they had to let me go. It was like a shock. Fortunately, I didn't cry. I had to sign something and my hand shook but I didn't cry. Marc walked me back to my office and I walked inside and was already crying. I guess he thought I was going to do something, trash the server or something, so he started to walk in the office. Wendy saw that I was crying and basically slammed the door in his face and she started crying and saying how sorry she was.

I went home and called everyone I knew basically. Some people said the right thing, (Erin - I'll take you out for drinks or Tanya - Send me your resume.) Some people didn't (Jamie - It's not the end of the world.) and some people didn't really say anything (Sean.)

And then I ran around in the rain. And Jamie apologized and said he might be able to get me an interview where he works.

1 Comments:

Blogger Peaches said...

You're hardcore and yes, you are much much stronger than to let this break you. You'll get another job (I'll be keeping my eye out for you) and you will be fine. If you need something with fur to cuddle, you can borrow Stella.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home