Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The forgotten child

My father didn't exactly forget my birthday. He just "didn't get around to calling me" and when he thought about it, "he thought I'd be out." What the fuck does that mean? He knows that I have a cell phone; I would have gotten the call. If I didn't he could have left a message. That's a lot nicer than calling me the next day. But seriously, who does that? I call him on his birthday. Nothing, nothing from him, nothing from my stepmother, nothing from my brother and nothing from my sister. I'd be suprised if my stepmother even knows my birthday. So my dad feels guilty; he feels guilty enough to buy me an Ibook. Which is nice, but I really just want a phone call. He can't buy me things to make up for not being there. I'm not going to say no to a new computer, but it's really not the point. His actual words when I mentioned the computer were "Well, I spend all kinds of money on Eric and Emma but none on you, so I'll buy it for you." Yeah, like I never noticed that? This is making me sound like a spoiled brat, but I'm really not talking about the money or the computer. I'm talking about my father taking a vested interest in my life.

5 Comments:

Blogger Peaches said...

I'm sorry your dad just doesn't get it. I know how that feels and it sucks.

*HUGS*

8:51 PM  
Blogger Lauren Starks said...

*hugs* sorry

8:46 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Sorry that happened. My own mother didn't call me on my birthday. I know she didn't forget, I just think it did't occur to her that I may actually want to hear from her. It's unfortunate that our parents are so oblivious.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

I actually told my dad that it upset me and he was honestly surprised.

8:57 PM  
Blogger erin said...

I'm sorry to hear about that. I was upset with my dad this year for not giving me a Christmas OR birthday gift. Maybe that sounds materialistic, but anything would have been nice. I think I got a card on my birthday.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home