Friday, January 19, 2007

Marathon dreaming

I had my first marathon dream last night. Other than some random dream oddities, my mother and father hanging out in some women's locker room for one, the gist of it was that I was forgetting something. First I forgot something to keep my hair back, then I forgot gels and had to buy Clif bars at the grocery store. Plus in the dream, the marathon was just around a track, around and around and around.

I went to hear Nancy Clark speak last night with Lauren. She gave a pretty accurate assessment on her blog. There were a few things that I did take away from it. She addressed the issue of weight gain and marathon training. She said that when people do a long run, they feel that it affords them a leisurely rest of the day. She said that they may have just burned 1000 calories, but they are lying in bed for the rest of the day not burning what they'd normally burn. And then when you add in the, "I just ran 10 miles, I can have those cookies." it's a recipe for weight gain. She said that in order to figure out the amount of calories you need to take in, you take your ideal weight and multiply it by 10. That's the amount you need to just live. Then you add 500-700 for day to day activities and then you add 100 calories for each mile. So, going by her calculations, if I run 10 miles a day (which I don't, but if), I'd need 2850 calories to maintain my weight. Looking at it like that, weight loss seems easy. It's funny that a lot of what she talked about focused on weight loss.

After being all healthy with Nancy Clark, I went to a bar.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

I do everything pitfall that she described. Maybe that's why I don't lose any weight...

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home