Saturday, November 18, 2006

Where's my +1?

I'm 28. And a half, I guess. Lately, I've just felt old. A big part of this is because my 10 year high school reunion is next weekend. It's not so much the 10 year part that bothers me, it's the thought of, "Shouldn't I have accomplished more in the past ten years?" It has a lot to do with still being single, I guess. I'm not one of those girls (or should I start referring to myself as a woman since I have become old?) that is always trying to find a boyfriend. But I feel like at this point in my life, I'm supposed to be in a serious relationship. Eva, Margaret, Kirsten and Maya have all been married for years. Maya has two kids. Eva and Kirsten are about to have one. It freaks me out. I don't want kids right now and I don't care that much about being married, but I feel like I'm supposed to at this age. I was looking at the Evite for the reunion and so many people had a +1 by their name. Where's my +1? (Actually, it's Sean, but that doesn't count since I think he has a +1 of his own.) Is it going to be the guy that was in my car until all the other cars in the parking lot were gone but we couldn't tell cause the windows were so fogged up? The guy that I hang out with every weekend but nothing has ever happened? I don't like dating. I don't like checking my phone to see if he called or texted or constantly wondering if he just wants to be friends. Adam and I went to see Death Cab for Cutie last night which totally added to me feeling old. The average age there was probably 16. Adam pointed out that instead of putting up lighters at a slow song, "people of a younger generation" put up their cell phones. It was totally true. I mean, I know it's to have their friends hear the songs, but the light coming from the phones kind of looked like a lighter flame and that freaked me the hell out.

Okay, I'm going back to sleep. That'll stop me from moping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home