Monday, March 26, 2007

Race Report

Of course I was being ridiculous about the boy not calling me back about dinner. He ended up coming and he, Jamie, Dave, my mother and I went to this Italian restaurant called Benedettis. It wasn't the best food and the busboy kept spilling the water; once he spilled it down my mothers back and once he spilled in on the boy's shoes. Our waiter also knocked over my water and that landed on my mother too. After dinner, my mom and I went to Target and TCBY and then I dropped her off at her hotel and went home.

The next morning, I woke up at 5 and took a shower and ate an english muffin. I picked up my mom and we met Lauren and Adina at the MARTA station. The MARTA, of course, broke and we were stuck at the Civic Center station for like 15 minutes. Almost everyone on the train were runners and since it was getting close to 7, everyone was getting nervous. The train finally started moving again and we got the the start at about 6:50.

There were a lot of people there. We didn't even cross the start line until about 15 minutes into the race. Adina and Lauren were running the half. The half and the full ran the same course for the first 4 miles. I ran with them. At this point, the temperature was perfect and I felt great. They didn't have anyone saying the times at every mile, just at certain ones. The first one was at the 10K. I think I was an hour and some change. I don't remember. What I do remember, however, is seeing signs for water and Powerade and there being none. I knew that my mom would be at mile 9, so I figured I'd just wait until then. The boy had said that he would meet my mom at mile 9 and take her to meet Jamie at mile 16 or so. I told them to meet me at a certain corner. As I came around the bend, I couldn't tell if the person with my mom was the boy or was Jamie. All I really saw was blonde hair and sunglasses. It was the boy. It made me really happy that he showed up and was hanging out with my mother, nonetheless. I was still feeling good at this point and seeing them helped a lot. I saw them again at mile 11 and they gave me some water. At this point, we were near Emory. I stopped to pee here. Around mile 12, I started running with this guy and talked to him for about four miles. At 16, I saw the boy and my mom again and then a few feet later, I saw a woman that I worked with. My mom and the boy gave me oranges and my work friend gave me M&Ms. I shared them with my running buddy.

At this point, it started to get hard. The sun was bearing down and the temperature was at a record breaking high. Plus, it was hilly. I ran until mile 18 and then stopped to walk for a little bit. My running buddy had stopped to pee at some point, but caught up to me since I was walking. I started running again with him and ran to about 19. At this point, I really needed to walk, so he kept going and I slowed down. 18 to 20 kind of sucked because it was an out and back. As we crossed 18, you could see 20 on the other side and that was kind of hard because you knew it was still 2 miles away. I walked for a lot of this part, stopping to jog sometimes. As I got to around 21.5ish, I saw my mom, the boy and Jamie. I think I was like, "This fucking sucks!!" as I passed them. I was half running/half walking. Jamie walked with me a little bit. They told me that my other friends were at mile 24. I was mostly walking at this point. It was just so hot out. I did some sort of walk/run type thing until mile 24. They were all there again and Erin and the guy that she's dating ran with me for the last two miles. That really helped. Erin was running in flip flops which shows how slow I was running at this point. Seeing the mile 26 sign was the best thing I've ever seen in my life. I saw the finish line and ran across. Afterwards, I somehow managed to find a diet coke. I really wanted to shower so we went to my apartment.

The plan was to get chips and salsa because that is what I thought I'd want. However, it didn't really go that way. I didn't really think I'd feel as bad as I did. I showered and sat on the couch and basically couldn't get up. So we ordered pizza. Emily came over and the four of us just hung out for a while. The boy stayed until about 6. At this point, I was starting to not feel so great. I felt naseous and got into my bed. My mom said it was hot in the apartment but I was shivering. All of a sudden, I realized that I was going to throw up but my body just wasn't allowing me to get out of bed, so I threw up in the trash can next to my bed. I hate throwing up. I rarely do it. I threw up four times in a row. I felt better after that. I got back in bed and tried to drink some Gatorade. At about 11pm, I was hungry and ate a bagel.

I didn't sleep well. I didn't have sheets on my bed because I'd thrown up all over them and didn't feel like putting new ones one. So today, I basically slept all day. My mom's flight was at 5. We didn't really do much. We went to Einstein Bros to get a bagel. I ate half of it. My mom was worried about me because I wasn't so hungry. I felt naseous again after eating the bagel. I went back to sleep and now I feel a little better. I'm still not 100% but I did eat some and after all, I did run a marathon yesterday.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Congrats!! I'm sorry you felt bad afterwards...but YOU DID IT!!

8:29 PM  
Blogger erin said...

Congrats! It's too bad you had to feel so sick afterwards, but I'm sure your body was in shock!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Clink said...

Congratulations! I'm so proud of you. It's something I'm fairly certain I'm not going to accomplish in my life, so it was ncie to get the perspective from someone who actually did it. I hope you're feeling better!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Perpetual State said...

Way to go!! It must take a tremendous amount of self confidence to commit to running a marathon. I'm still chicken to sign up for a 5k!! Awesome stuff!

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home