Thursday, December 21, 2006

Ho Hum

4 miles on the treadmill tonight. Wasn't good, wasn't bad. It's like I always expect these "shorter" runs to go by quickly because, well I ran 10 miles last Saturday, 4 miles is nothing. But it's never like that. If anything, running a shorter distance often is harder than a longer one. It takes me about half an hour to get into the run if not more. So if I'm only running for 40 minutes, it's like the first 30 are difficult and by the time it gets easier, the run is over.

I talked to my mother tonight. I told her that I was tired all the time and she suggested that I go to a nutritionist. I've thought about that before but for some reason when she says it the first thing that pops into my head is that she's really suggesting it because she thinks I've gained weight. I don't know where these thoughts are coming from. Maybe I'm not mentally strong enough to train for a marathon. I don't know what one has to do with the other but I've been thinking (borderline obsessing) about food a lot lately.

On an unrelated note, Joanna Newsom's voice is like fingernails on a blackboard to me. Why is she on all the Top Cds of 2006 lists??

3 Comments:

Blogger Peaches said...

Dealing with a nutrionist is interesting...It can either go really well or make you more obsessive. It helps me, but I need it for a specific reason.

I don't think it's a question of being mentally strong enough to train for a marathon. I think it's a question of eating to fuel your body as something visual versus dealing with it as something you need to fuel properly for the sake of running a marathon.

Did that make sense? I'm sleepy and having problems putting thoughts together.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Yes, that makes sense. It's something I'm struggling with right now.

Maybe a nutritionist would help. It's not the first time this has been suggested to me. How would I go about finding one and what do they actually do? Just tell you what to eat?

8:32 AM  
Blogger Peaches said...

Check with your doctor or your insurance. They may have listings for RDs or nutritionists which is much cheaper than finding an independent one like Triathlete from Shape or the person I'm working with or the ones I've worked with in the past. What they do varies depending on what you need. The first thing they had me do was eat normally and log all my food for a week. Most of them have asked that I get my metabolism tested so they could make a really appropriate plan. They also asked me about my exercise and lifestyle. Based on all of those things together (and asking me about any food allergies, aversions or weird food reactions) they create a plan for me. They never tell me what to eat specifically, but that's because I hate having that done, but they do give me an idea of how I should be putting my meals and meal plans together (like I need to eat a TON more protein than carbs because I don't do well with carbs) and how many calories I should be eating. Some ask that you check in once a week, others once a month to see how things are going and they make adjustments as necessary.

Also, I wouldn't say you just need a nutritionist or RD, but some of the body issues you have might also need a psychologist. Changing my diet and exercise only does so much, my shrink is the one who works on me about not being obsessive about my food and body.

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home